The Systems Engineer will be primarily responsible for supporting, documenting and monitoring WellCare's virtual and physical server environments and/or applications to meet the business requirements of the organization.
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
REPORTS TO: Manager, Infrastructure and System Engineering
- Responsible for effectively executing professional level technical troubleshooting (server hardware & software).
- Charged with supporting complex infrastructure environments with a high degree of attention to detail and timeliness.
- Manage the deployment of appropriate security patches, hot fixes, and software updates.
- Designs, documents, implements, monitors, and supports Unix, Linux, and SAN systems, services, and applications.
- Analyze Problems and Implement Technical Solutions.
- Deliver and manage high standard communications across internal customers and IT to ensure that issues are dealt with by priority; providing regular communications across the organization.
- Perform detailed Highly Technical root cause analysis of systems and applications.
- Perform system performance tuning and implement and manage system security.
- Collaborates with other IT and business departments to ensure business needs and SLAs are met.
- Actively participate in the systems monitoring and diagnosis of issues.
- Transfers knowledge to other IT staff.
- May be required for upgrades to production systems to avoid system downtime during business hours.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- For Problem Management Roles: Diagnosis of faults and determining whether new incidents are related to known errors or existing problem records. Production of statistics and reports to demonstrate where possible repeat incidents are occurring across the organization and manage issues through to resolution. Leading and facilitating post mortem investigations into high impact faults. Analysis and reporting of incident trend data to identify and eliminate root causes.
- Required A Bachelor's Degree in in information systems, information technology or related field
- Required or equivalent work experience
- Required 3 years of experience in an IT support/administration/engineering role in a Unix Server environment.
- Required Other Experienced in maintaining, diagnosing, and administering servers, services, and applications
- Required Other Experience working with the following: •Installation, configuration and maintenance of UNIX operating systems and associated component/tools. •TCP/IP network configuration and tuning. •Actively participated in the systems monitoring infrastructure •Performed migrations, OS upgrades, core software installations, tuning, security hardening and enforcement. •Performed all aspects of UNIX systems administration associated with the Netbackup Systems. •Demonstrated background in creation of LPARs via the Hardware Management •Created partitions with vscsi, N-Port Virtualization(NPIV) and perform Live Partition Mobility operations on pSeries LPARs. •Wrote scripts in administrative languages and leverage command scripting ability for vi files. •Expertise in EMC SAN problem determination as it relates to the operating systems of the hosts and VIO's.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Intermediate Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
- Intermediate Demonstrated written communication skills
- Intermediate Ability to drive multiple projects
- Intermediate Ability to work as part of a team
- Intermediate Other Must be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with other staff in order to manage projects and tasks as well as to promote teamwork, communication, and knowledge transfer.
- Intermediate Other Must be able to document work and/or incidents using standard formats.
- Intermediate Other Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with non-technical staff and end-users for support, testing, training, and outcome validation.
- Intermediate Other Proficient in MS Office including Word, Excel. PowerPoint, Visio, Project and Outlook
A license in one of the following is required:
- Preferred Other One or more of the following certifications are preferred but not required: •IBM Certified Systems Expert •Solaris Certified Systems Administrator •Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) or higher •HP Certified Professional •Remote Access and VPNs •Network Management and Diagnostics (e.g. HP Openview, Sniffer) •Database Administration (e.g. MCSD, Oracle) •Enterprise Network Storage (e.g. SAN, NAS, Mirroring, Clustering) •Symantec Netbackup Certified Specialist
- Preferred Other Additional certifications in network or systems design, implementation, or diagnostics or in any of the following areas are preferred oInternet Technologies and Routing (e.g. Web, IIS, Apache, BGP) oFirewalls and Network Security (e.g. Cisco PIX, intrusion detection, vulnerability scanning) oAuthentication Security (e.g. smartcards, tokens, biometrics) oNetwork Management and Diagnostics (e.g. HP Openview, Sniffer) oDatabase Administration (e.g. MCSD, Oracle) oEnterprise Network Storage (e.g. SAN, NAS, Mirroring, Clustering) oVeritas Enterprise Storage and Backup Management Products
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Word
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Excel
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Outlook
- Required Intermediate Microsoft PowerPoint
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Visio
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Project
- Required Intermediate Other Must be able to type at least 25 words a minute for data and configuration entry