Incumbent is responsible for the effective implementation and execution of relationship development and government engagement with state elected and appointed officials. Implements state government affairs' components of market business plans, in states without Government Affairs staff. Supports market government and regulatory affairs professionals. Assists in alliance development activities. Ensures compliance with all government affairs related policies, procedures and processes.
Reports to: State President
Location: Columbia, SC
Additional Responsibilities:Candidate Education:
- Works on behalf of, and in coordination with, state market plan leaders across the company to identify emerging policy/political issues to foresee business opportunities and mitigate potential business risks through monitoring, analyzing, and advising on state activities and legislative initiatives.
- Facilitates coordination of government affairs activities, with market and corporate community engagement, and advocacy activities to leverage new and existing relationships, and identifies and expands corporate opportunities across the states in which the company operates.
- Researches, tracks, monitors, and analyzes proposed and enacted state legislation impacting the managed care industry.
- Works with the corporate Public Policy team to develop market specific policy positions and to ensure those positions are consistent with WellCare's corporate positions on state proposals and initiatives.
- Works with Sr. Director, Government Affairs Compliance, to plan and implement WellCare's political engagement strategy in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
- Manages all external lobbyists engaged to advocate in the market on behalf of WellCare Health Plans.
- At the direction of the Vice President, Federal Affairs, supports WellCare's federal advocacy efforts.
- Serves as the market ambassador for WellCare PAC and, if any, any state PAC's.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Required A Bachelor's Degree in a related field or communication, public affairs, political science, or a related field
- Preferred Other A Master's Degree
- Required 8 years of experience in state government affairs, health policy, public programs
- Required 8 years of experience in a health care environment or related field
- Required 4 years of management experience
- Required Other Broad knowledge of government programs and the managed care industry and proven experience leading and managing government and regulatory affairs programs through teamwork, collaboration and open communication
- Preferred Other Experience with Medicaid or Medicare government or private/public sector, state legislative or regulatory, and/or experience with budgeting and contracts
- Advanced Ability to analyze information and covert related activities into a comprehensive work plan
- Advanced Ability to influence internal and external constituents
- Advanced Ability to represent the company with external constituents
- Advanced Ability to lead/manage others
- Advanced Ability to work as part of a team
- Advanced Ability to work in a matrixed environment
- Advanced Ability to work within tight timeframes and meet strict deadlines
- Advanced Demonstrated analytical skills
- Advanced Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
- Advanced Demonstrated leadership skills
- Advanced Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Advanced Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Advanced Knowledge of community, state and federal laws and resources
- Advanced Knowledge of healthcare delivery
- Advanced Ability to analyze and interpret financial data in order to coordinate the preparation of financial records
- Advanced Other Ability to identify and build relationships with key leaders within government health agencies and senior staff on committees that affect health care legislation
- Required Advanced Microsoft PowerPoint
- Required Advanced Microsoft Word
- Required Advanced Microsoft Excel
- Required Advanced Microsoft Access
- Required Advanced Microsoft Outlook
- Required Advanced SharePoint
- Required Advanced Other Legislative Tracking Software
- Required Advanced Other Microsoft MapPoint