LOCATION: 8725 Henderson Road, Tampa, FL 33634
REPORTING TO: SVP, General Counsel
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., WellCare Health Plans, Inc. (NYSE: WCG) focuses exclusively on providing government-sponsored managed care services, primarily through Medicaid, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, to families, children, seniors and individuals with complex medical needs. WellCare serves approximately 4 million members nationally.
WellCare is seeking to fill a newly created role located in Tampa for a Senior Director, Manager, Legal Department Operations, reporting to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel. This is an opportunity to join an expanding, business-partnering focused Legal Department in a rapidly growing organization.
The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for overseeing a range of Legal Department operations functions, including oversight of legal department technology strategy and operation, departmental administrative and financial matters, such as budgeting, outside counsel spend and billing guideline management, outside counsel RFPs, and assistance with department talent recruitment and management processes. Board support duties and special projects will also be required as needed. This role will interface closely with other WellCare departments, including Finance, IT, Operations and H.R., as well as senior leadership.
A successful candidate will have outstanding professional and interpersonal skills, sound judgment, business and strategic acumen and be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment while effectively managing multiple projects and competing priorities. The candidate must be committed to learning our business and regulatory environment.
Candidates will have 8 years of demonstrated experience in similar administrative leadership roles in a large Legal department and/or law firm, with a heavy emphasis on selection, implementation and utilization of technological solutions. Project management/supervision experience on cross-functional and internal legal teams, and finance and/or accounting experience, particularly around budget development and management and legal reserves/accruals, are required. Hands-on leadership of eDiscovery and other litigation processes required. Experience with Serengeti and Emptoris systems, and Information Governance/RIM preferred.
Successful candidates will have the following personal attributes:
- Tech savvy
- Career v. job focus
- Hands-on, hard-working, "roll up your sleeves" style
- Positive team player and collaborator
- Excellent judgment and strategic thinking, plus a "get to yes"/solutions-oriented approach
- Business acumen and ongoing commitment to a business partnering legal services model
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain and implement complex issues
- Professional demeanor, credibility and reliability
- Proactive and responsive, willing and able to assist with new challenges
- Efficient, with a propensity for action and a strong sense of ownership
- Personal integrity and respect for confidentiality
- Ability to prioritize and make difficult decisions quickly
- Enthusiastic self-starter
All WellCare associates are expected to embrace and promote the Company's culture of compliance and institutional values reflected in, among other things, its Code of Conduct and Business Ethics.
Job responsibilities are expected to include the following.
• Supporting the General Counsel and Legal Division on a range of departmental operational functions, including budgeting, accruals, legal reserves, auditor letters and inquiries, outside counsel spend management, internal and external reporting, talent acquisition/management responsibilities and other special projects
•Supporting and enhancing processes for eDiscovery, subpoena responses, legal holds, deal due diligence, regulatory filings and similar procedural matters
•Managing Legal Department technology strategy and any related WellCare systems/processes, including serving as Legal department coordinator with IT and vendors, and leading efforts for technology enhancements and functionality maximization
•Supporting company Information Governance and document management protocols and processes
Periodic travel may be required.
WellCare offers competitive compensation, benefits, and relocation assistance.