LOCATION: Washington DC
DEPARTMENT: Public Policy
REPORTING TO: Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs
Incumbent is responsible for assisting with activities associated with federal government affairs and policy. Maintains effective and cooperative working relationships with federal officials and staff. Reviews and monitors proposed and enacted federal legislation affecting the managed care industry and contribute to business plans accordingly. Helps monitor and conduct policy analysis and development. Identifies and analyzes key legislative and policy issues. Represents the organization before federal elected officials/regulatory agencies and staff.
Additional Responsibilities:Candidate Education:
- Advocates before federal legislative leaders for legislation and policies which support the industry and programs in which WellCare participates.
- Develops and builds effective working relationships with government regulators and elected officials.
- Assists and leads, where appropriate, with issues involving federal government relationships, including dealing with regulators to establish and continue effective working relationships.
- Monitors and analyzes federal legislation relevant to WellCare.
- Coordinates with internal teams in the impact of proposed federal legislation.
- Identifies, analyzes and makes recommendation regarding key legislative issues.
- Liaises with WellCares Public Policy and Government Affairs department to advance WellCares government affairs and public policy agenda.
- Manages and strengthens WellCares relationships with federal officials to provide policy and regulatory advice in support of the programs in which WellCare participates. Collaborates with WellCares compliance and regulatory teams in support of these efforts.
- Works closely with CMS and any other government leaders to build coalitions to effect change that will have a positive impact on the managed care market.
- Works collaboratively with WellCare market leadership to build and maintain active and effective federal grassroots advocacy efforts.
- Plans, conducts and directs work on complex projects/programs necessitating the origination and application of new and unique approaches.
- Contributes to education of WellCares leadership team on federal government affairs and policy matters.
- Perform other duties assigned.
- Required A Bachelor's Degree in political science, health or public policy, business administration or related field
- Preferred A Master's Degree in public policy, public health, political science, health administration or related field
Candidate Skills:Licenses and Certifications:
- Required 10 years of experience in a health policy, legislative affairs, regulatory policy, health care consulting or managed health care, and a proven track record of leadership experience in the health care industry
- Required Extensive experience working with key government and legislative groups
- Preferred Broad knowledge of government programs and the managed care industry and proven experience leading and managing government affairs programs through teamwork, collaboration and open communication
A license in one of the following is required:
- Required Advanced Microsoft PowerPoint
- Required Advanced Microsoft Word
- Required Advanced Microsoft Excel
- Required Advanced Microsoft Access
- Required Advanced Microsoft Outlook
- Required Intermediate SharePoint