LOCATION: Tampa Preferred - Highly qualified candidates in other areas where WellCare has offices, are encouraged to apply.
REPORTING TO: VP Asst General Counsel
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., WellCare Health Plans, Inc. (NYSE: WCG) focuses exclusively on providing government-sponsored managed care services, primarily through Medicaid, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, to families, children, seniors and individuals with complex medical needs. WellCare serves approximately 4 million members nationally.
WellCare is seeking to fill a newly created role for a Sr. Corporate Counsel to serve as Legal's National Health Care Provider Practice Group Lead. This is an opportunity to join an expanding, business partnering focused Legal Department in a rapidly growing organization.
Candidates must have strong academic credentials and 10 years of legal experience, heavily focused on health care provider issues, including sophisticated contracting, strategic partnerships/ACOs, payment systems and quality, medical economics and regulatory and reporting regimes applicable to provider relationships (e.g., prompt pay, anti-kickback, etc). Experience in this capacity with or on behalf of a multi-market MCO, and government programs experience, strongly preferred. Strong financial acumen related to MCO and provider payment model economics is also strongly preferred.
This position will be primarily responsible for supporting WellCare's regional and state lawyers and business clients across WellCare's growing national footprint. This position reports to the Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, Litigation, Regulatory and Health Plan Operations. While locating in Tampa is preferred, highly qualified candidates located in other WellCare markets are also encouraged to apply.
The position will involve extensive contact with senior management and with representatives of the business units and corporate functions across the organization in multiple offices. Candidates will have demonstrated expertise in developing and implementing strategic, proactive legal solutions. A successful candidate will also have outstanding professional and interpersonal skills, sound judgment, business and strategic acumen and be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment while effectively managing multiple projects and competing priorities. The candidate must be committed to learning our business and complex regulatory environment and be proactive in identifying solutions to the business challenges facing a highly regulated company.
We are looking for attorneys who are driven by a strong sense of urgency, show accountability in how they do their work and results and who are committed to being a trusted business advisor to their clients. Candidates must thrive in a fast paced environment and be able to prioritize competing demands in line with business priorities. Successful candidates will have the following personal attributes:
- Career mentality
- Hands-on, hard-working, "roll up your sleeves" style, with both business partners and Legal teammates
- Strategic thinking, plus a committed "get to yes"/solutions-oriented approach
- Strong legal and business risk identification, assessment and mitigation skills
- Demonstrated business acumen and ongoing commitment to a business partnering legal services model--viewed as a trusted business advisor to business partners
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to translate complex legal/regulatory issues into understandable and executable advice
- Professional demeanor, credibility and reliability
- Thought leadership and effective advocacy on issues and strategy with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders
- Leadership skills and emotional intelligence
- Strong collaborator and flexibility to play multiple roles
- Comfort and excellent judgment in areas where regulation/law is evolving or uncertain
- Responsive and ready, willing and able to assist with new challenges
- Efficient, with a propensity for action and a strong sense of ownership
- Personal integrity
- Ability to prioritize and make difficult decisions quickly
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
All WellCare associates are expected to embrace and promote the Company's culture of compliance and institutional values reflected in, among other things, its Code of Conduct and Business Ethics.
Job responsibilities are expected to include the following.
Supporting WellCare's regional/state lawyers and business clients across the U.S. on all aspects of provider contracting, including ensuring compliance with government program rules applicable to provider relationships
Providing legal counsel on federal and state regulatory regimes applicable to provider relationships
Supporting strategic WellCare-provider partnerships and alliances (e.g., ACOs)
Providing legal advice around economic initiatives impacting providers
Monitoring and reporting on relevant developments and trends
Assisting where needed on provider disputes and litigation, including payments, credentialing and terminations
Facilitating a cross-functional internal Legal practice group of subject matter experts on a range of provider-related issues
Successful candidates must be a member in good standing of a relevant state bar; Florida provides for in-house counsel admission without examination. Periodic travel may be required.
WellCare offers competitive compensation, benefits, and relocation assistance.