REPORTING TO: VP Asst General Counsel
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., WellCare Health Plans, Inc. (NYSE: WCG) focuses exclusively on providing government-sponsored managed care services, primarily through Medicaid, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, to families, children, seniors and individuals with complex medical needs. WellCare serves approximately 4 million members nationally.
WellCare is seeking to fill a newly created role for a Sr. Corporate Counsel to serve as Regional Lead Attorney supporting state business operations in WellCare's West region (currently CA, AZ, HI, NE). This is an opportunity to join an expanding, business partnering focused Legal Department in a rapidly growing organization.
Candidates must have strong academic credentials and 7 years of health care operations generalist legal experience advising Managed Care Organizations ("MCO") on a range of legal issues. Experience in this capacity with or on behalf of a multi-market MCO, and Medicare and/or Medicaid and other government program health plan experience, strongly preferred. Business acumen and demonstrated experience in establishing successful, value-add business partnerships with corporate clients are essential.
This position reports to the Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, Litigation, Regulatory and Health Plan Operations. Relationship building and assimilation into the regional business is critical, so the candidate will be based in one of our regional offices, most likely Arizona, with regular travel to Tampa and other assigned markets expected. Highly qualified candidates in these and other areas of our region are strongly encouraged to apply.
The position will involve extensive contact with senior management and with representatives of the business units and corporate functions across the organization in multiple offices. Candidates will have demonstrated expertise in developing and implementing strategic, proactive legal solutions. A successful candidate will also have outstanding professional and interpersonal skills, sound judgment, business and strategic acumen and be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment while effectively managing multiple projects and competing priorities. The candidate must be committed to learning our business and complex regulatory environment and be proactive in identifying solutions to the business challenges facing a highly regulated company.
We are looking for attorneys who are driven by a strong sense of urgency, show accountability in how they do their work and results and who are committed to being a trusted business advisor to their clients. Candidates must thrive in a fast-paced environment and be able to use excellent judgment in prioritizing competing demands in line with business priorities. Successful candidates will have the following personal attributes:
- Career mentality
- Hands-on, hard-working, "roll up your sleeves" style, with both business partners and Legal teammates
- Strategic thinking, plus a committed "get to yes"/solutions-oriented approach
- Strong legal and business risk identification, assessment and mitigation skills
- Demonstrated business acumen and ongoing commitment to a business partnering legal services model--viewed as a trusted business advisor to business partners
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to translate complex legal/regulatory issues into understandable and executable advice
- Professional demeanor, credibility and reliability
- Thought leadership and effective advocacy on issues and strategy with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders
- Leadership skills and emotional intelligence
- Strong collaborator and flexibility to play multiple roles
- Comfort and excellent judgment in areas where regulation/law is evolving or uncertain
- Responsive and ready, willing and able to assist with new challenges
- Efficient, with a propensity for action and a strong sense of ownership
- Personal integrity
- Ability to prioritize and make difficult decisions quickly
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
All WellCare associates are expected to embrace and promote the Company's culture of compliance and institutional values reflected in, among other things, its Code of Conduct and Business Ethics.
Job responsibilities are expected to include the following.
Supporting WellCare's regional businesses by delivering front-line legal advice on a variety of legal issues, including contracting, disputes, business expansion, strategic transactions, regulatory/ compliance issues and other legal matters
Building strong relationships with state leadership and functional business leads to stay apprised of business plans, risks and opportunities
Building strong relationships with subject matter expert attorneys/National Practice Group Leads within the Legal department and collaborating on issues and work product
Interfacing with local Compliance, Regulatory and Government Affairs' associates and collaborating on issues
Assume responsibility for other states as Region grows
Monitoring and reporting on local developments and trends and possible impact on other markets
Successful candidates must be a member in good standing of a relevant state bar. Regular travel is required.
WellCare offers competitive compensation, benefits, and relocation assistance.