LOCATION: Multiple Locations Nationwide
REPORTING TO: VP Asst General Counsel
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., WellCare Health Plans, Inc. (NYSE: WCG) focuses exclusively on providing government-sponsored managed care services, primarily through Medicaid, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, to families, children, seniors and individuals with complex medical needs. WellCare serves approximately 4 million members nationally.
WellCare is seeking to fill a newly created role for Corporate Counsel, Litigation on the Litigation & Regulatory Legal team. This is an opportunity to join an expanding, business-partnering focused Legal Department in a rapidly growing organization.
The position is an entry level role supporting the Litigation & Regulatory team with matters arising across multiple functions and offices. Candidates must have strong academic credentials and 4 years of commercial litigation experience in law firm or in-house settings. Experience in health care/health insurance, or other insurance-related litigation preferred. Employment matter experience is a plus, as is experience supervising the work of paralegals. While locating in Tampa is preferred, highly qualified candidates located in other WellCare markets are also encouraged to apply.
A successful candidate will have outstanding professional and interpersonal skills, sound judgment, business and strategic acumen and be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment while effectively managing multiple projects and competing priorities. The candidate must be committed to learning our business and regulatory environment.
Successful candidates will have the following personal attributes:
- Career v. job focus with an interest in expanding responsibilities
- Hands-on, hard-working, "roll up your sleeves" style
- Positive team player and collaborator
- Excellent judgment and strategic thinking, plus a "get to yes"/solutions-oriented approach
- Strong legal and business risk identification, assessment and mitigation skills
- Business acumen and ongoing commitment to a business partnering legal services model
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to translate complex issues into understandable and executable advice
- Professional demeanor, credibility and reliability
- Proactive and responsive, willing and able to assist with new challenges
- Efficient, with a propensity for action and a strong sense of ownership
- Personal integrity
- Ability to prioritize and make difficult decisions quickly
- Enthusiastic self-starter
All WellCare associates are expected to embrace and promote the Company's culture of compliance and institutional values reflected in, among other things, its Code of Conduct and Business Ethics.
Job responsibilities are expected to include the following.
• Supporting the attorneys on the Litigation & Regulatory team on a variety of litigation matters and disputes, including support on early case assessment, factual development, discovery and hearings/trials
•Managing subpoena responses, legal holds and other procedural litigation matters
•Conducting and/or managing legal research
• Assisting WellCare attorneys with investigations and regulatory issues/inquiries, as needed
Successful candidates must be a member in good standing of a relevant state bar; Florida provides for in-house counsel admission without examination. Periodic travel may be required.
WellCare offers competitive compensation, benefits, and relocation assistance.