LOCATION: Multiple Locations Nationwide
REPORTING TO: VP Asst General Counsel
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., WellCare Health Plans, Inc. (NYSE: WCG) focuses exclusively on providing government-sponsored managed care services, primarily through Medicaid, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, to families, children, seniors and individuals with complex medical needs. WellCare serves approximately 4 million members nationally.
WellCare is seeking to fill a newly created role for a Regulatory attorney on the Litigation & Regulatory Legal team. This is an opportunity to join an expanding, business partnering focused Legal Department in a rapidly growing organization.
Candidates must have strong academic credentials and 5 years of legal experience in national law firm or in-house settings, with demonstrated expertise in developing and implementing strategic, proactive legal solutions on a range of regulatory issues impacting health insurance and managed care businesses. This position will be primarily responsible for supporting WellCare's Compliance and Regulatory Affairs teams, as well as several local markets across WellCare's growing national footprint. Experience with regulatory regimes and issues for Medicare, Medicaid, state CHIP programs, DOI regulation and general and health care data privacy/HIPAA, plus front-line experience with formal and informal federal and state regulatory inquiries, audits, hearings and investigations strongly preferred. Experience in various regulatory aspects related to health care provider relationships, utilization and medical management and claims/appeals preferred. Litigation/dispute management and/or health insurance Compliance function experience a plus.
This position reports to the Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, Litigation & Regulatory. It may be filled at the Corporate Counsel or Senior Corporate Counsel level depending upon candidate experience. While locating in Tampa is preferred, highly qualified candidates located in other WellCare markets are also encouraged to apply.
A successful candidate will have outstanding professional and interpersonal skills, sound judgment, business and strategic acumen and be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment while effectively managing multiple projects and competing priorities. The candidate must be committed to learning our business and complex regulatory environment and be proactive in identifying solutions to the business challenges facing a highly regulated company.
The position will involve extensive contact with senior management and with representatives of the business units and corporate functions across the organization in multiple offices. Successful candidates will have the following personal attributes.
- Hands-on, hard-working, "roll up your sleeves" style, with both business partners and Legal teammates
- Strategic thinking, plus a committed "get to yes"/solutions-oriented approach
- Strong legal and business risk identification, assessment and mitigation skills
- Demonstrated business acumen and ongoing commitment to a business partnering legal services model--viewed as a trusted business advisor to business partners
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to translate complex legal/regulatory issues into understandable and executable advice
- Professional demeanor, credibility and reliability
- Thought leadership and effective advocacy on issues and strategy with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders
- Leadership skills and emotional intelligence
- Strong collaborator and flexibility to play multiple roles
- Comfort and excellent judgment in areas where regulation/law is evolving or uncertain
- Responsive and ready, willing and able to assist with new challenges
- Efficient, with a propensity for action and a strong sense of ownership
- Personal integrity
- Ability to prioritize and make difficult decisions quickly
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
All WellCare associates are expected to embrace and promote the Company's culture of compliance and institutional values reflected in, among other things, its Code of Conduct and Business Ethics.
Job responsibilities are expected to include the following.
• Supporting the Legal Department and WellCare business clients in providing legal advice and solutions on complex state and federal regulatory issues, including Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP programs, HIPAA, data privacy, health care operations, DOI and other regulatory regimes
•Providing legal counsel on federal and state regulatory inquiries, audits, hearings and investigations, including drafting of and consultation on responses and discovery, advising on privilege, scope and other regulatory engagement issues, preparing witnesses, statements and testimony and directly engaging with regulators as required
• Providing proactive Legal counsel and support for Regulatory Affairs team in monitoring and analyzing emerging regulatory issues/developments
• Providing legal counsel on various regulatory requirements related to overall WellCare business operations, including health care provider relationships, utilization and medical management, claims/appeals and data privacy and security issues
Successful candidates must be a member in good standing of a relevant state bar; Florida provides for in-house counsel admission without examination. Periodic travel may be required.
WellCare offers competitive compensation, benefits, and relocation assistance.