LOCATION: Tampa, FL, ATL, Chicago, NY and Houston
REPORTING TO: VP Litigation, Reg & Health Pln Ops
Assumes primary role and provides general leadership in developing and executing strategies for assigned field(s) of practice, such as compliance, contracts, employment, government programs (Medicare/Medicaid), litigation, or regulatory. Collaborates with other legal departments by providing general and high level strategic support to help drive the Assistant General Counsel's and General Counsel's strategic goals. Partners with business leaders to provide consultative guidance, minimize overall risk, and ensure legal processes support WellCare's growth and profitability targets.
Seeking Corporate Counsel specifically to provide Employment Law expertise, advice and counsel to our Human Resources leadership and team members across WellCare’s national operations. This is an opportunity to join an expanding, business-partnering focused Legal Department in a rapidly growing organization.
- Delivers high level, significant legal review, negotiation and finalization of health care contracts, including negotiation and enforcement of provider and vendor contracts, professional services contracts, service agreements, and third-party payer agreements.
- Researches, manages and delivers clear and concise consultative legal guidance in assigned field(s) of practice; including, but not limited to, interpretation of federal and statutes, regulations, and case law related to health care.
- Oversees and manages policy developments, and provides appropriate counsel as it relates to legal matters.
- Partners with and provides sound legal judgment and advice to senior executives, vice presidents and other key members of the WellCare leadership team.
- Educates and informs WellCare's leadership team on corporate legal affairs.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, assisting with Trust investigations as assigned.
- Manages litigation matters, including recommending outside counsel, developing case strategies and budgets, discovery responses, deposition preparation of client, and final favorable resolution.
- Identifies efficiency opportunities within the department and supports the development and implementation of process improvement solutions
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Participating in company committees, as assigned.
- Providing day to day legal advice to assigned WellCare departments.
- Effectively manage ad-hoc projects, as assigned.
- Ability to travel by automobile, plane, or other public transportation as necessary.
- Exposure to normal hazards of road and air travel.
#LI-SM2Candidate Education: Candidate Experience:
- Required 4 years of experience in assigned field(s) of practice, such as compliance, contracts, employment, government programs (Medicare/Medicaid), litigation, or regulatory Assigned field(s) of practice to include one or more of the following: contracts review, health care related transactions, regulatory and legislative process, corporate compliance, litigation and risk management, and general corporate transactions.
- Required 4 years of experience in an in house attorney role, with demonstrated experience in leading and successfully resolving complex commercial disputes and success on a business partnering oriented legal team
- Required 4 years of experience in Health care/health insurance, or other insurance-related litigation
- Preferred 4 years of experience in managing litigation budgets and outside counsel staffing
Licenses and Certifications:
- Advanced Ability to work in a fast paced environment with changing priorities
- Advanced Demonstrated organizational skills
- Advanced Ability to drive multiple projects
- Intermediate Demonstrated written communication skills
- Intermediate Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
- Intermediate Ability to communicate and make recommendations to upper management
- Advanced Ability to work as part of a team
- Advanced Ability to work within tight timeframes and meet strict deadlines
- Intermediate Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Advanced Ability to influence internal and external constituents
- Advanced Other Ability to remain calm under pressure
A license in one of the following is required:
- Required Other State Bar Membership
- Required Advanced Microsoft Word
- Required Advanced Microsoft Excel
- Required Advanced Microsoft PowerPoint
- Required Advanced Microsoft Outlook