Community Health Workers (CHWs) are frontline public health workers who are trusted members of and/or have an unusually close understanding of the community they serve. This trusting relationship enables CHWs to serve as a liaison/link/intermediary between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
DEPARTMENT: Health Services-Medicaid
REPORTS TO: Director, Field Care Management
- Educating clients about how to use the health care and social service systems.
- Gathering information for medical providers and insurers.
- Educating medical and social service providers about community needs.
- Providing individual support and informal counseling.
- Providing Culturally Appropriate Health Education.
- Assessing health risk factors and barriers to accessing care.
- Developing a Personal Health Plan based on the client's vision for personal health and wellness.
- Providing education and support on Lifestyle Modifications (healthy diet, importance of exercise).
- Teaching concepts of health promotion and disease prevention.
- Helping to manage chronic illness.
- Providing navigation services for Florida's Healthcare System.
- Providing resources, referrals and linkages to health related services in the community.
- Required a High School or GED
- Preferred 2 years of experience in health or social services
Licenses and Certifications:
- Intermediate ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from families, members, and providers
- Intermediate ability to work independently
- Intermediate demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
A license in one of the following is required:
- Required Valid driver's license (or readily available mass transit)
- Required intermediate Microsoft Word
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.